Whatever your stance on marijuana, as a sensible adult one should know that children should never have access to it. Unfortunately thirteen youths ranging in age from 6 to 18 had just that, and were hospitalized over the weekend after ingesting marijuana edibles. SF Fire officials said Sunday that three minors, including a 9-year-old boy, were being treated in intensive care units.
A total of 6 adults were also hospitalized, according to San Francisco fire spokesman Jonathan Baxter.
All of the unlucky individuals were discharged by Monday morning, according to health officials. Those who ingested the cannabis suffered from symptoms consistent with the effects of edible cannabis overdose, including rapid heart rate, high blood pressure, dilated pupils, dizziness, light-headedness, nausea, lethargy and confusion.
The individuals involved became ill after attending a quinceañera party at the Women’s Building at 3543 18th St. in the Mission District on Saturday (pictured below). There they were unknowingly served gummy candies, many of which contain high levels of THC.
The narrative among all those sickened is that they had eaten gummy candies left out at the party. Unfortunately the candy did not have any labels or markings that investigators could use to trace where it came from, Baxter said.
The party was catered by a company based in Oakland, and the Alameda County Department of Public Health is also investigating. So far no official charges have been brought forth to any entity involved.
(This) incident highlights the potential dangers of edible marijuana products, which can be very potent and difficult to control the dosage, according to Dr. Tomas Aragon, San Francisco’s health officer.
“A situation like this, where they were consumed by unsuspecting people, and many children, is greatly concerning,” Aragon said in a statement.