Can’t we just let people smoke weed already?
Because while it seems individuals in physically demanding sports such as the NFL and the UFC receive harsh suspensions for smoking cannabis, the disciplinary actions for PED use come across as far more lenient.
Look at this way. Perhaps you smoke marijuana. If the general public were to find out about your cannabis use, would you potentially lose your job over it?
Some of you might answer yes, due to you working for the government or inexplicably, a national grocery store chain. I say if this is the case seek alternate employment immediately.
More than likely, however, you wouldn’t face any major repercussions for your cannabis use.
The same can’t be said for sports stars; folks like Aldon Smith. The Oakland Raider linebacker recently posted a live video to Periscope showing him smoking marijuana and the fallout, while perhaps warranted, was immediate.
The 26-year-old former San Francisco 49er is already serving a one-year suspension for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. Getting caught again for weed could be the proverbial nail in his proverbial coffin.
The video was first uncovered by CSN Bay Area, which called it “questionable,” (questionable is simply a polite way of saying “we all know it’s you, fool”). However, CSN did not confirm that Smith was smoking weed or that it was him in the video, even if it is fairly obvious.
The station did confirm that the video was from Smith’s Periscope account. The video in question shows a man, whose face is not seen, talking with a woman while holding a blunt.
Another possible indication that our beloved Bay Area linebacker may not be the brightest bulb in the grow room is the following transcript of the video, which clearly demonstrates Smiths lack of understanding how social media works:
Woman: (Slaps the camera) N*gga, I’m not playing with you.
Man: I don’t give a f*ck. Ain’t nobody f*cking with us. We’ve got zero followers(laughing). Where is the ashtray at? This is what you call a fire up session.
Woman: N*gga you shouldn’t even be posting that.
Man: (Coughing while holding blunt) Do you see my face?
Woman: No, but what if…
Man: They don’t have my name. This is just a fire up session.
Woman: So if you just put it on there, it’s just doing it, you’re live? Oh that’s hella stupid.
Man: Shut up, you’re hella stupid. You tryin to smoke fam? Is this the ashtray?
Woman: You ain’t using it no more right? (inaudible)
Man: You’re stupid, you trippin. N*gga they don’t know it’s me. It’s not like I put ‘Aldon Smith’
You can watch the full video below (Warning – colorful language):
- Smith got himself arrested on DUI charges in January 2012 in Miami for driving dirty.
- Smith was arrested again in September 2013 on charges that he was driving under the influence and had marijuana on his persons after a single-car accident. He took a leave of absence from the 49ers to enter a rehabilitation facility.
- A month later, while still in rehab, Smith was charged with three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon stemming from a June 2012 fight at his home, where he was stabbed while trying to break up a fight. Two other people were also shot.
- In July 2014, Smith was sentenced to community service, 12 days on a work crew and three years of probation on the 2013 DUI and weapons charges, which were eventually reduced to misdemeanors. He was suspended for nine games by the NFL as a result of those convictions.
- Smith was released by the 49ers after he was arrested in August 2015 on charges of hit-and-run, driving under the influence and vandalism. He has pleaded not guilty to those charges, which are still pending
Smith was signed by our cities motley crew, aka, the Oakland Raiders in September 2015, playing nine games before his one-year suspension was handed down. He signed a 2-year contract with Oakland this April that didn’t include a signing bonus or guaranteed money.
The Raiders have not issued a formal statement regarding the video. This may not even be necessary, as Smith is already barred from participating in any team activities during his suspension.
Hi, my name is Petey Wheatstraw. I’m an avid marijuana smoker, writer, devoted father and non-profit minion– not necessarily in that order. A Chicago native I’ve lived in the Bay Area since 1996.